Pop Sugar Fitness reblog an article from Shape Magazine about the mystery of protein and diets. The writer (unnamed in the post) does nutrition counseling and likes to make several points with clients:
- You need protein with meals and snacks
- Protein helps you avoid overeating
- Typical Americans tend to eat more protein than they need, when you consider that the USDA recommends that 10-35% of a person’s diet consist of protein
- Consider how a food/product is consumed when considering whether it is a problem if it doesn’t have protein in it. For example, breakfast cereal might not have much, but if you will be eating with milk, there will still be protein in the meal
- To get the best balance when meal planning, let lean protein be 1/4 of your plate, another 1/4 be a high-fiber carbohydrate, and the rest be fruits and vegetables.
- For snacks, make it 50-50 protein and carbs
What nutrition advice has helped you?
How Much Protein Do You Need? at Pop Sugar Fitness